Director of Communications and Engagement
The North Carolina Retired Governmental Employees’ Association (NCRGEA) seeks to hire a dynamic professional ready to take the organization’s communication strategy to the next level as it becomes the “go-to” resource center for state and local government retirees. The Director of Communications and Engagement will advance the mission of the NCRGEA by increasing awareness among its members and key audiences through branding, external communications, and digital engagement strategy in coordination with key marketing partners and contractors.
Communications Strategy, Vision, and Leadership:
● Develop annual strategic marketing plan to support NCRGEA’s mission, vision, and goals.
● Review and refine all aspects of communications, from web presence to external relations, with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
● Develop digital strategic communications for the promotion and dissemination of informational, educational, and marketing content.
● Develop social media strategy and ensure consistent, quality content on social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
● Serve as the Association’s key driver of all aspects of brand development and oversight.
● Lead in the generation and dissemination of online content that engages audience segments and results in measurable action. Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time through the use of analytics for website and social media.
● Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, membership materials, newsletters, brochures, board reports, and NCRGEA’s online content.
● Develop other relevant social media outlets to support and expand digital presence, as needed.
● Supervise the coordination of meetings with staff and contractors that engage the Association’s key audiences.
● In coordination with the Executive Director, build the vision for partnership development to cultivate strategic community and other critical partnerships with the goal of enhancing NCRGEA’s brand reputation and community support.
● Develop and maintain exceptional working relationships with people, partners, and agencies important to retiree needs.
● Represent NCRGEA externally per the discretion of the Executive Director.
● Develop and execute innovative public relations strategies, including traditional and social media, to gain earned media in the North Carolina market.
● Manage and mentor membership staff and marketing and website contractors to ensure the highest quality.
● Hone and set standards for best practices that will create a high-performance marketing and partnership organization.
NCRGEA is seeking an accomplished Director of Communications and Engagement who has a minimum of 6 years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a nonprofit, government, or higher education entity and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and donor, partner, or member communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels is critical.
Preferred requirements include:
● Experience developing and implementing communications strategies
● Four-year or graduate degree in Communications, Marketing, English or a related field
● Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
● Experience developing social media and digital engagement strategies
● Prior experience working with state and/or local government entities
● Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, board members, volunteers, and program participants
● Demonstrated experience developing ongoing external partnerships
● Excellent interpersonal, management, and relationship development skills
● Entrepreneurial mindset that enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
This position will be based out of NCRGEA’s office in Raleigh, NC, and will report directly to the Executive Director.