Recovering Lost Document and Records

Recovering Lost Documents

Events such as the flooding caused by Hurricane Florence commonly result in the loss of important personal documents. North Carolinians can use the following resources to replace lost or damaged documents and records.

N.C. Birth and Death Certificates: 919-733-3000

N.C. Marriage Certificate: 919-733-3000

N.C. Driver License: 919-715-7000

Vehicle Titles: 919-715-7000

Bank Checks, ATM/Debit Cards, or Safe Deposit Boxes: 1-877-275-3342

Credit Cards:  Contact the issuing institution:

Credit Reports (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion): 1-877-322-8228

Social Security Card: 1-800-772-1213

Medicare Cards: 1-800-772-1213

Green Card: 1-800-375-5283

Passport: 1-877-487-2778

U.S. Savings Bonds: 1-800-722-2678 or 800-553-2663

Tax Returns:1-800-829-1040

Military Records: 1-866-272-6272

Insurance Documents: Contact your own insurance agent

SNAP Card (Food Stamps): 1-866-719-0141

EBT Card: 1-888-622-7328

Real Estate & Property Records (Mortgage Documents, Deeds, etc.): Contact your own real estate agent or your county Register of Deeds office:

Medical and Prescription Records: Call your own doctor; medical and prescription records are tracked electronically.

Other Family Records:

Individuals, including homeowners, renters, and business owners, in the designated counties who suffered loss or damages due to Hurricane Matthew may register for assistance online at, by downloading the FEMA mobile app, or by calling  1-800-621-FEMA (3362). For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), the number is also 1-800-621-3362.  For people using TTY, the number is 1-800-462-7585.

Source: (September 2016)