This hearty recipe is from a reader in North Carolina. It’s a great recipe to welcome in the autumn – it’s perfectly spiced, packed with plenty of protein and fiber, and has a truly addicting flavor. This healthy recipe’s ingredients include lean ground turkey so is a healthier alternative to a ground beef version but loses none of the deliciousness!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 chopped medium red bell pepper
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- For topping: cheese, avocado, tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream
- Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in onion, garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in ground turkey and break up the meat; cooking until no longer pink. Next add in chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper and salt; stir for about 20 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors come together. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary.
- Garnish with anything you’d like.
Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
NCRGEA is compiling a Digital Holiday Dessert collection of recipes for 2023! If you have a dessert recipe you’d like to share, Submit A Dessert here by October 10, 2023.